TO: Residents, Staff and Children’s Corner Parents
FROM: David Swartley, President/CEO
DATE: March 13, 2020
RE: Coronavirus (COVID-19)
I am writing to give an update regarding the Coronavirus. As a provider of health care services for residents who are most vulnerable to this virus, I am attempting to provide regular, clear, and easy to understand updates.
First and foremost, medical professionals at the State and Federal level, as well as our Medical Director (Lancaster General/Penn Medicine), inform us of the best practices daily. As stated previously, additional information and updates are available at the following websites: Pennsylvania Department of Health: www.health.pa.gov. Center for Disease Control: www.cdc.gov. These websites are updated regularly.
The landscape continues to change rapidly. Following the Pennsylvania Department of Health recommendations, we are implementing the following guidelines:
- Beginning Saturday, March 14, all visitors will be restricted from the Founders Campus.
- Essential personnel will be required to complete questionnaires and have their temperature taken to enter the building.
- All residential residents who are returning from travel outside the immediate area need to “report in” with Jennifer Shutt as to their destination and any health-related concerns.
- We have requested all staff to cancel any upcoming cruises. Employees refusing to do so will have a fourteen-day, self-quarantine imposed.
- We have canceled all group meetings and activities at both campuses
- We will broadcast our Vesper Service, but attendance will be prohibited.
- Beginning on Saturday, March 14, no volunteers on campus.
- Effective, Monday, March 16, no nursing students permitted on campus.
- We have canceled all outside events held at Moravian Manor Communities.
- Residents in Skilled Nursing, Personal Care, and Assisted Living are restricted to their immediate areas. They may not use the café or any other public gathering place.
- We have closed the Outpatient Therapy Center in the Baer Center for Assisted Living.
- There will be no Beauty Shop services for Residential Living residents.
- Residential Living fobs will be restricted to the main entrance lobby doors (access at the Founders Campus); Garden Court residents will continue to have access to the entrances specific to their area.
- The café is closed to residents from all areas. Grab and go meals will be prepared for the staff on duty. The café is not to be used as a place to congregate.
- There will be “carry-out” service for Garden Court Residents in the Garden Court Dining room from Monday through Friday. You may call the dining services number to place your order at 717-625-7616. Meals can be delivered if you have ambulatory issues. This service should only be requested if you need assistance in getting the meals to your apartment.
- Garden Court Residents are prohibited using the Baer Center for Assisted Living as a passageway.
- The Owl’s Nest will remain open for all Residential Living Residents. Any group gatherings in the Owls
- Nest, Fireside Lounge, or the Hall of Fame Room are prohibited.
- We have canceled ALL resident gatherings or activities.
- Catering events are not permitted.
- No Resident Dies Alone (NRDA) is placed in hiatus for the foreseeable future.
As stated in my previous memo, please continue to follow the processes stated below!
- Stay hydrated.
- Cover coughs or sneezes with your elbow. Do NOT use your hands!
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if
- soap and water are not available.
- Clean surfaces frequently, including countertops, light switches, cell phones, remotes, and other often
- touched items.
- If you are sick, stay home until you are feeling better.
- If you answer “yes” to any questions on our front entrance reception questionnaire, please wait fourteen days to visit.
Please be aware of fraudulent schemes during times of crisis. Fear creates the environment to make people more susceptible to “bad actors.” I found it interesting that the former PTL evangelist, Jim Bakker, has been issued a cease-and-desist letter for his current marketing of a product that will cure you of the Coronavirus! Moral of the story, some things never change! Please be careful!
The goal of this communication is not to incite panic. The realities are that the percentages of infection at this point are minimal. Simple steps can keep us safe and increase the likelihood that we maintain a safe environment for everyone. We are implementing many restrictions to do whatever we can to protect the most vulnerable residents among us. We all appreciate your help in accomplishing this task! Thank you.
If you have further questions, please email Dr. Lynn Swisher, NHA, Vice President of Health Services,